Saturday, March 10, 2012

Do I Have Amnesia?


Last night I went to bed way too late so needless to say it was difficult getting out of bed.  Today was the first time in a long time I fooled around with the snooze button.  Not only did I go to bed much later than I expected I woke up in the middle of the night with an allergy attack.  I couldn’t breathe which caused me to get out of bed.  By the time I settled back down, my alarm was buzzing hence I hit snooze.  Despite these obstacles, I managed to make it to the gym only 15 minutes later than usual and had a pretty good lower body workout.

I don’t know what it is but I seem to have amnesia when it comes to lifting.  I’ve come to find that I am excited to go through my workout but I seem to forget how tough it is to get those reps out.  It’s like I’ve forgotten how hard it is to get to the last reps. As I started my quads, I was thinking that these reps weren’t so bad but by the time I got to the 4th and 5th set, I was really pushing myself and all of the memories of how difficult it was to complete came rushing back.  By the time, I finished the last reps, my legs were hurting and I was ready to move on.  Then the amnesia hit.  It was time to work the hamstrings.  Instantly forgetting how my quads had felt, I began working the backs of my legs and it seems like the whole process was repeating itself.  It’s like I forgot how hard I worked the last time I did hamstring exercises.  That is until I was on the last reps and the memories came rushing back.  As I work each muscle group, I tend to forget the hard work that I did on the previous group while I struggle on the new group.  I guess that’s just my way of coping.  I’ve noticed that this happens when I work my upper body as well.

On a side note, once again I forgot something.  Today it was my ipod.  I really rely on music to push me through my workouts so today’s workout was extremely challenging. On the plus side, at least it wasn’t a cardio day because I’m not sure I would’ve made it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment