Friday, February 3, 2012

Planning for Success


One of the key things for me in doing Body for Life is planning.  So far I’ve been fairly good about planning my workouts.  I’ve mapped out my strategy before I get to the gym.  I take notes on how I did and record them in a log as soon as I get home.  It’s helping me chart my progress and it’s a way to encourage me to push more.

Today was an upper body workout.  I was off to a great start.  I upped my Dumbbell Bench presses by starting 10 pounds heavier.  By the time, I got to the High Point, I was panting and sweating hard.  I resisted the voice that told be to quit on the 10th rep of my Dumbbell Flys and I did 12.  My intensity level was just about at a 10.

Next came shoulders and Pull Ups.  I’m still not able to get the final 12 during my high point put I was pretty pleased at making 9.  Moving on to my back, I was feeling a bit worn and started off light.  Then I thought, wasn’t I cheating myself?  The whole purpose is to challenge and grow.  I didn’t want to be complacent and just glide through the routine so, I upped the weights from where I planned.  Same thing happened with the triceps but I have to admit I was a little winded.  I know I could’ve pushed myself more.  My goal for next week when I return to the triceps is really go for the 10. I had no problem whatsoever with the biceps.  By the time I finished my final 12 reps.  I was spent!

Planning has also been key to my meals.  It’s nice to be prepared so there really isn’t any thought about cheating.  Every few hours I just grabbed what I’ve prepared and I’m finding I’m not really craving anything.  That’s one of the great things about Body For Life.  I’m not running out to lunch grabbing whatever or being an impulse purchaser. (If something sweet catches my eye, I usually go for it!) While I look forward to my meals, it’s more about fueling my body and not about just eating for eating sake. 

Although I’ve been planning out my exercise and meals what’s slacked a bit is my morning preparations.  Everyday this week I’ve forgotten something (my work shirt one day, my belt the next, today my post workout drink)!  I’m adding a morning checklist to my routine so this doesn’t happen anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment