Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Transformation Starts



Day 1

Ok here goes.  It’s been about 10 years since I originally did Body for Life.  Wow time has flown!  I’m now in my late 40s and feeling like an old man.  10 years ago BFL provided an amazing transformation for me and now it’s time to jump back on the horse. I guess I realized I was gaining the weight back but somehow I seem to justify that it was ok.  I was putting on some shorts from the previous summer and they somehow seemed tight.  “It’s okay.  They must’ve just shrunk!”  After all, they were white, I had bleached them and put them in a very hot dryer.  Lame excuse! Fast forward to fall, one of my choir members started calling me “Fat Boy!”  Hmmm I didn’t think I had gained that much weight and besides he’s a senior citizen and at the age where he believes he can say anything and get away with.  I thought, “Don’t’ worry you still look good!”

But certain things you cannot deny, some of my favorite clothes weren’t fitting well but to me, the reason was because I bought them when I was at my smallest size so it was ok that they didn’t fit. “I’ll just drop a few pounds and I’ll be back in them!”

That didn’t happen and overtime I found myself buying larger sizes when I went shopping for new clothes.  It hadn’t dawned on me that I was back on the wrong track.  A couple of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups turned into a whole bag.  A gallon of ice cream could disappear in a few days and who could say no to a breakfast brunch?

Life continued… school, work, vacations and the gym time started to be more sporadic.  I was still going to gym (I teach a spinning class) but not as often as I should’ve.  I noticed I was looking heavy and was dreading anytime someone would take a picture.  It’s true. In this situation… THE CAMERA DOESN’T LIE! So it was time to do something.  I kept starting new programs… P90x but the guy I was training with lived too far for early mornings.  I joined Weight Watchers at work but the meetings weren’t very motivating for me and at an inconvenient time.  So things weren’t changing.

I had taken a little break from my choir and I decided at the beginning of the year that I was going back.  Sure they were happy to welcome me back however after that first rehearsal, but after one of my choir members gave me a hug remarked, “You’ve gotten a belly!”  I guess there was more of me to welcome back.  This time I couldn’t explain it away.  That was the final straw!  Really something has to change.

So here I am. I’ve taken my “Before” pictures.  Not a fun thing to do!  I refused to let anyone take them for me.  I decided self pics were the way to go at this stage.  The pictures are still in my camera but I’ve decided not to really look at them until I’m further along in the program.  Chicken! I know, but it’s too early to face my fears.  Plus it’s something to look forward to as the transformation happens.  Tomorrow will be my first upper body workout.  Let’s see how it goes.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I saw your post on BFL and I'm here to hold you accountable! :)
    I started BFL on January 2, like you, I'm not new to the challenge, but I didn't finish it the last how ever many times I started, and there were many. I am starting my fourth week tomorrow and this time my head is in the right place, and I believe that was the missing link the other times I started the challenge and didn't finish. I always had an excuse not to do the homework.
    Good luck, Barnetter! Do your homework!
    Sally
    sallykruse@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm really d determined.

      Delete
  2. Good luck to you!!! Today is my first day of the program and I am really excited about it. I realized though how weak I really am and had to adjust my workout already. But, all in all it was a great workout and I look forward to the beatdown its going to give me.

    If I could offer any advice, it is to really plan this out and follow your plan. You are going to do great. Like Sally said, do your homework.

    ReplyDelete