Friday, January 27, 2012

Little Victories


I taught spinning this morning but this was an upper body workout day.  I don’t really feel I get a workout while I teach.  I’m more about watching and instructing the class.  Although I work hard, it’s more about giving the members a good workout.  Even though I didn’t feel like it, I hit the weights.  The gym was quiet so I figured I could workout in peace without being taunted by people with “pecs of death”, ridiculously bulging biceps or the washboard abs that seem so elusive to me.  Yeah right!

As soon as I walked onto the floor, there he was standing right in front of me.  Everything I didn’t want to see….buldging biceps. Ugh where are my sized people?  The group with whom I wanted to share a camaraderie with and stand together and say, “Together we can do this.  Together we can perservere!” It doesn’t matter.  I’m on a mission.  Looking around, there was “pecs of death”, “shoulders of death”, “legs of death” and if I had my dirty laundry, I could’ve scrubbed them clean with “Mr. Washboard Abs of Death!”  Oh the humanity.

A little deflated, I set about my workout.  I gonna get through this.  As I was working out, I started to notice something.  There were actually other people who did look like me.  So maybe this is not going to be so bad. Maybe they are experiencing the same frustrations I am because they just starting out like me. At least that’s what I’ve convinced myself.  I decided that although I have a long range goal maybe I needed some short range targets.  It was a victory that I decided to work out. That’s good.  Intensity level was really tough when I hit the level 9 of my shoulder workout but I pushed myself through it.  Victory! Tricep pushdowns were really challenging but I didn’t not quit.  Victory!  Day 5 ended on a good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment